Going For A Walk First Thing In The Morning - Fun and Productive

A misty morning on my dawn walk


I heard Max Mosely on the radio suggesting that going for a walk in the morning helps you sleep at night.  The theory is that the light sets your body clock, so that by the end of the day it knows it is time for a snooze.  I've no idea if that is true, but it seems to work.  I gave it a try and sure enough I found it easier to sleep.  Suggestion is very powerful, so that might be enough to explain it.  But the result is well worth having whatever the mechanism.  I have continued the habit since last April.  I have missed very few days.

I think it would be worth it even without the sleep benefits, much as they are well worth having.  I find it gives me a really good start to the day.  I had originally listened to podcasts and audiobooks, but I now prefer to simply think.  I find that being away from screens and paper is a good time to think over what I am doing and to get some planning done. 

I walk about a mile across a large field.  I often ford a stream, so I need to wear wellingtons.  It probably isn't great for my feet.  But the fresh air and the exercise can't do any harm and certainly feel like they are doing some good.  On work days I set out as early as I can, typically about 7:15am.  I rarely eat breakfast, but if I do I have it when I get back.  I often do the same at the weekend, but equally often I indulge myself with a lay in.  But even then I'll go for a walk before I eat anything.

I find that the time I spend on my feet first thing I more than get back from greater productivity later in the day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 - A Year Without Twitter

My Productivity Tools - Software